1. Create an Applyweb Account to Begin Your Application
Use your full legal name as it appears on your passport. See directions and related information for creating an ApplyWeb account.
2. Obtain a University of Michigan ID (UMID) Number
- A UMID number will be issued to you via e-mail within 5 business days of completing pages 1-5 and advancing to page 6 of the ApplyWeb application. Having your UMID number to include on all your application materials ensures accurate and timely processing, so we encourage you to complete pages 1-5 early in the process.
- If you need to submit your application before you receive your UMID number, you may still complete the application. Include your date of birth and the program’s name on your application materials.
- Current and former U-M students, alumni and employees do not need to obtain a UMID number.
- If you are a current or former University of Michigan Ann Arbor Campus student, alum, or employee whose personal information has changed (for example, legal name, gender), ensure that the personal information you will submit with your application matches the information in Ann Arbor campus records.
3. Upload Files and Submit Application(s)
Upload your transcripts, curriculum vitae or resume, academic statement of purpose, personal statement, and other documents to ApplyWeb, and fill in all required fields. Submit your completed application. If you are submitting more than one application, complete your first application before starting the next.
4. Order Transcripts for Delivery to Rackham
Include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each transcript submitted.
Current and previous U-M students do not need to submit their U-M transcript.
5. Order Test Scores for Delivery to Rackham
6. Check That Letters of Recommendation Have Been Submitted
Use ApplyWeb to check the status of the letters. See reminders about what you can and cannot change after you’ve registered a recommender.
7. Complete Any Additional Steps Required by the Graduate Program
Refer to the graduate program’s website and follow any instructions provided by them regarding additional materials, scores, special instructions for statements, etc.
8. Create a U-M Friend Account if you are new to the University
If you are new to the university do not create your friend account until you submit your application and are notified through e-mail confirming your submission and U-M ID number. Enter your e-mail address into the Friend Account Request Form. Follow the instructions in the confirmation e-mail to log into Wolverine Access > New and Prospective Student Business to create your Friend Account. You will need to enter your UMID and birthdate. For more instructions see the Information and Technology Services website.
9. Watch Your E-Mail
Rackham Admissions and the graduate program will notify you of decisions, follow-up instructions, and additional information via e-mail.
Last updated: January 23, 2018 - 8:46am