- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency and are required to provide one of the official score reports in the table below.
TOEFL scores are sent electronically from ETS directly to the University of Michigan (institution code: 1839). Official IELTS test scores are sent as an official transcript from the IELTS testing center. Official ECPE and MELAB scores must be sent directly to the Rackham Graduate School from the testing agency.
Rackham Graduate School
915 E. Washington St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1070
- Test scores are valid two years from the test date and must be received by the graduate program deadline.
- We advise you to use your legal name as stated on your passport when registering for the TOEFL and in submitting the online application. If your name does not match exactly, there will be a delay in matching your test scores to the application data. In addition, your birthdate should be in month/day/year format (e.g., 09/19/1983).
- Photocopies and/or faxes of English proficiency scores will not be accepted.
|Description of Test||Assessment Provider||Speaking Test||Minimum Overall Score|
|IBT TOEFL||IBT TOEFL||Educational Testing Service||Yes||84|
|Paper/Pencil TOEFL and TWE||Paper/Pencil TOEFL & TWE||Educational Testing Service||No||560|
|MELAB||MELAB||Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments||Optional||80|
|IELTS||IELTS||Cambridge, United Kingdom||Academic version||6.5|
|ECPE||ECPE||Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments||Yes||certificate of proficiency|
English Proficiency Exemptions for Admission to the Rackham Graduate School
You qualify for an exemption from taking an English proficiency examination if one of the following criterion is met:
- You are a native speaker of English.
- You completed all four years of your undergraduate education at an institution in the United States and earned a degree from that institution.
- You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree in one of the following countries, Australia, English speaking Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.
- You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree at an institution where all classes are taught exclusively in English.
Graduate Program English Proficiency Requirements
Some graduate programs require English proficiency scores from all non-native speakers of English regardless of their previous educational experience. Specific requirements can be obtained from the graduate program.