When to Submit the Official Transcript
- Consult the graduate program website for specific transcript requirements and instructions. Instructions will indicate when to submit the official transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School.
- Below are instructions for submitting official transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School only.
Upload in ApplyWeb
All applicants upload their official transcripts in ApplyWeb. Do not upload academic records printed from your school’s website or student portal.
Order the Official Transcript
What type of transcript should I order for Rackham?
Submit only official transcripts. These bear the issuing institution’s seal and the official signature of the Registrar (or Recorder of Records).
For those enrolled in degree study at the time of application, submit only the most recent in-progress transcript for that degree.
What types of education do I need to order official transcripts for?
- Applicants that are attending or graduated from a U.S. Institution: Submit a transcript for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional, or Doctoral degree earned or in progress. Do not submit any transcripts from a community or junior college, non-degree, or study abroad coursework.
- U-M Ann Arbor Applicants (Current or Previous): Do not submit your U-M Ann Arbor transcript. Rackham will access your U-M Ann Arbor transcript internally. Submit only degree transcripts from other institutions you attended including U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint.
- Applicants that are attending or graduated from a Non-U.S. Institution: Submit required documents from each institution attended including non-degree and study abroad. Review the Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for requirements by country.
How many sets of each official transcript do I need?
Two. One for you to upload in ApplyWeb and one submitted directly to Rackham when directed by the graduate programs’ website instructions. The Rackham Graduate School only requires one set of transcripts no matter how many programs you apply to.
Which document formats are not accepted by Rackham?
The following formats are not accepted by Rackham:
- A scanned copy of an official transcript (only allowed for the upload on ApplyWeb)
- Academic records printed from your school’s website
- A paper transcript that is not sealed in the institution’s envelope
- An evaluation provided by a credential service, for example, Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). Exception, the Rackham Graduate School will accept electronic evaluations from Educational Perspectives (EP).
- A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public
Do I need to submit an updated transcript to Rackham after the grades are available for the term in progress?
No. Do not submit an updated transcript to Rackham unless you are directed to do so.
I applied previously and submitted my official transcripts then. Do I need to submit them again?
Yes. Applicants need to submit a new set of official transcripts for each semester they apply.
Submit an official transcript for each institution from which you will obtain a degree directly to Rackham when indicated to do so by the graduate programs’ website.
Should I submit an e-transcript or paper transcript?
E-transcripts are the better option and strongly preferred when possible. Do not submit the same transcript both electronically and by paper.
Request that the Registrar (or Recorder of Records) send an electronic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. The transcripts cannot be an email attachment or forwarded email.
- If your institution uses National Student Clearing House as their electronic transcript vendor, select "Electronic Transcript Exchange as the delivery method if that is an option.
- If your institution uses Parchment as their electronic transcript vendor, select "An Academic Organization, Admissions Office, Business, or Other Organization" and search for “University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School.” Do not select "Yourself or Another Individual."
- If you attended a Non-U.S. Institution, you have the option (not mandatory) to use Certifile transcript submission through your ApplyWeb application account. ApplyWeb has partnered with Educational Perspectives (EP) and Digitary Inc. to verify, evaluate, and deliver your credentials electronically to our office. For more information, see the Education section of the application in your ApplyWeb account.
Fill out and include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each e-transcript submitted, if possible. We acknowledge that some e-transcript systems do not have an upload function. If it is not possible to include the form, do not mail or submit separately.
Paper Transcript Instructions
If an e-transcript option is not available, submit a paper transcript, in the envelope sealed by the institution, directly to:
Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/UMID# or Transcripts/Date of Birth
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070
Fill out and include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each transcript. If the institution issuing the transcript is not able to include forms, then write Attn: Transcripts/UMID# (if known) or Attn: Transcripts/Date of Birth (formatted as mm/dd/yyyy) as a line on the mailing address. Do not mail or submit separately.
Original educational documents will not be returned. All documentation received becomes the property of the Rackham Graduate School and will not be returned.
Last updated: August 9, 2018 - 10:18am