The Rackham Graduate School requires official transcripts (or “academic records” as referred to by some international schools) for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional or Doctoral degree earned or in progress. You will need to:
- Upload them through the application (ApplyWeb)
- Send an official set directly to Rackham
Therefore when ordering transcripts for your application, you should select two recipients: you and Rackham. Exceptions to this include:
- Current or prior U-M Ann Arbor students: Rackham will access your U-M Ann Arbor transcript internally. You will only need to send transcripts from other institutions you attended or U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint.
What Type of Transcripts to Submit to Rackham
- Submit only official transcripts. These bear the issuing institutional seal and the official signature of the Registrar (or Recorder of Records). Paper transcripts must be in envelopes sealed by the institution.
- For those with U.S. degrees, do not submit to Rackham a transcript for any of the following: community or junior college, non-degree, or study abroad coursework.
- For those with degrees outside of the U.S., you must provide records from each institution attended. See Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for additional information.
- For those enrolled in degree study at the time of application, send only the most recent in-progress transcript for that degree, along with any other transcripts, to Rackham. The graduate program will contact you if they require an updated transcript with grades for a term in progress at the time of application.
- Consult your graduate program website found in Programs of Study for any additional requirements and submission deadlines.
The following formats are not accepted by Rackham:
- A scanned copy of an official transcript (only allowed for the upload on ApplyWeb)
- Academic records printed from your school’s website
- A paper transcript that is not sealed in the institution’s envelope
- An evaluation provided by a credential service, for example, Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES)
- A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public
How to Submit Transcripts to Rackham
- Whenever possible, request that the Registrar (or Recorder of Records) send an electronic transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. The e-transcript cannot be e-mail attachments or forwarded e-mails.
- Paper transcripts can also be mailed directly to Rackham: Rackham Graduate School, 915 E. Washington Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070, USA.
- Fill out and include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each transcript. Since some e-transcript systems do not have an upload function, this is not required for e-transcripts.
- If you are unable to submit a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for paper transcripts, include Attn: Transcripts/UMID# (if known) or Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy) in the mailing address.
Transcript Submission Checklist
- I have uploaded a copy of my official transcripts on ApplyWeb.
- If my degree is from the U.S., I have submitted a transcript from each institution, omitting the following: community or junior college, non-degree, or study abroad.
- If my degree is from outside the U.S., I have checked the Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions, and I have submitted a transcript for each institution.
- For each transcript, I have sent to Rackham either an electronic transcript or paper transcript, but not both.
- I have included the Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form when possible.
- If my degree is currently in progress, I will not send an updated transcript to Rackham while my application decision is pending.
- I have checked the graduate program requirements for any additional transcript instructions.
- I have sent the transcripts to Rackham before the graduate program application deadline.