When you register your recommenders in the ApplyWeb application, each recommender will receive an e-mail notification to complete the recommendation form through ApplyWeb.
Letters of recommendation must be received no later than the graduate program application deadline. Deadline date information is listed on our Programs of Study.
Tips for Registering Recommenders:
- You will need each recommender’s name, mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, institution or employer, and title.
- Under the provisions of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, if you check "yes" to waive your right to see this document, you will not be granted access to this information as an enrolled student. It is recommended you check the waiver box “yes” for each recommender. Many recommenders will not submit a letter if you select “no.” You will not be able to change the waiver status once your recommender has signed into their recommendation account.
- You may register your recommenders in ApplyWeb before completing your application. In ApplyWeb select “Submit Recommendation Request” to confirm, and proceed with the application at your own pace before the graduate program deadline.
After Registering Your Recommenders:
- You may submit your application before all your letters of recommendation are received. Recommenders have until the graduate program deadline to upload their letters.
- Check the status of your letters of recommendation or resend the notification email to your recommender using the ApplyWeb Activity Page.
- If you need to change who your recommenders are, you will be able to do so if the status for that recommender is “Not Started.” Change the name of the recommender and the e-mail address. The other contact information is not editable. If the status is “Completed” or “In Progress,” contact the graduate program.
An Option For U-M Ann Arbor Students and Alumni
Students and alumni of U-M Ann Arbor have the option of letters of recommendation being submitted using the U-M Career Center’s Reference Letter Service (RLS). Follow these specific instructions for Rackham applicants, and contact RLS directly with any questions.
If your recommender needs to send a letter of recommendation by postal service or e-mail, you must first get approval from the graduate program. The graduate program may refer you to the Recommendation for Admission paper form. Do not send this form or the letter of recommendation to Rackham.