O Reader by Jim Cogswell, collection of the artist
A two-day intensive seminar for career exploration for humanities and humanistic social science Ph.D.s offered in May for mid-stage Ph.D.s. Students will gain insight into a variety of career paths, identify their transferable knowledge and skills and practice communicating these to others. Hosted by the Rackham Graduate School.
Over 20 Ph.D. alumni from across a diverse array of occupations along with career coaches will assist participants in developing a deeper understanding of their career interests and skills. Students will explore pathways to careers in and beyond the academy in such areas as publishing, the arts and community engagement, public humanities, academic affairs and administration, and consultancy.
During the two-day event, participants have the opportunity to do the following:
- Conduct face-to-face meetings with alumni and other professionals with Ph.D.s in a variety of careers
- Identify desirable skills and expertise
- Develop skills for effective networking
- Build professional communities
- Explore career paths through mentoring
- Engage in informal conversations
- Develop a better understanding of careers