Rackham is committed to enhancing the development and training offerings related to diversity, equity, and inclusion for all graduate students (Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral Fellows) and is now offering a DEI Professional Development Certificate. This program is designed to prepare graduate students to work in a diverse environment while fostering a climate of inclusivity. Upon successful completion of the program, graduate students will possess the following resources and skills:
- A framework for increasing their DEI knowledge and skills
- The ability to accurately define and conceptualize DEI terms
- Opportunities for further engagement in DEI scholarship and leadership positions
- A diversity statement that demonstrates the commitment to DEI engagement, leadership, and scholarship
- Be prepared to enter a diverse and global job market
- An official certificate of completion (signed by the Dean of Rackham Graduate School and the University of Michigan Chief Diversity Officer) which can be listed on a curriculum vitae or resume
- Complete five of the seven core DEI professional development trainings/workshops (see table below)
- Complete a minimum of five additional professional development trainings in a skill track of their interest (e.g., teaching, research, leadership, etc.)
- Submit a reflection form within 72 hours of completing each training (instructions on submission will be provided to participants upon acceptance to the program)
- Submit a diversity statement that integrates and highlights their DEI professional development experience(s)
- Complete pre and post surveys for program evaluation
DEI PD Certificate Core Trainings List
Participants must complete a minimum of five of the seven core DEI professional development trainings listed in the table below:
|Name of Training||Department that Sponsors Training|
|Diversity Statement OR Demonstrating Your Commitment to Diversity Workshop||U-M Rackham Graduate School and CRLT|
|Change It Up - Bystander Awareness Training||U-M Student Life|
|Communicating Across Identities||U-M IGR|
|Sexual Assault/Harassment Training - Haven Plus||U-M SAPAC|
|Cuts: Responding to Student’s Climate Concerns, Part 1||U-M CRLT Players|
|Cuts: Responding to Student’s Climate Concerns, Part 2||U-M CRLT Players|
|Informational Interview with a Professional Conducting DEI Work in Your Chosen Skill Track||A template for the informational interview will be provided|
Participation in events and workshops does not have to take place in any particular order.
Rackham’s DEI Professional Development Certificate has been designed so that participants can successfully complete it over the course of a year. However, students are not required to complete the program in one year and are encouraged to advance through the program at a pace that is comfortable for them. In order to obtain the certificate, participants will need to complete all program requirements before graduating.
How to Apply
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year are officially closed. For students interested in pursuing the program in the 2018-2019 academic year, the application will be made available in August until late September. Students will be notified about their acceptance by the end of September.
There are no associated costs to participate in the program.
Email email@example.com for questions regarding the Rackham DEI Professional Development Program.
Last updated: April 13, 2018 - 2:21pm