About the Program
Rackham is committed to enhancing the development and training offerings related to diversity, equity, and inclusion for graduate students and is now offering a DEI Professional Development Certificate. This new Rackham program is designed to prepare graduate students to work in a diverse environment while fostering a climate of inclusiveness. Upon successful completion of the program, graduate students will possess the following resources and skills:
- A framework for increasing their DEI knowledge and skills.
- The ability to accurately define and conceptualize DEI terms.
- Opportunities for further engagement in DEI scholarship and leadership positions
- A diversity statement that demonstrates their commitment to DEI engagement, leadership, and scholarship.
- Be prepared to enter a diverse and global job market.
- An official certificate of completion (signed by the Dean of Rackham Graduate School and the University of Michigan Chief Diversity Officer) which can be listed on their curriculum vitae or resume.
- Complete five of the seven core DEI professional development trainings/workshops (see table below).
- Complete a minimum of five additional professional development trainings in a skill track of their interest (e.g., teaching, research, leadership, etc.)
- Submit a reflection form within 72 hours of completing each training.
- Submit a diversity statement that integrates and highlights their DEI professional development experience(s).
DEI PD Certificate Core Trainings List
Participants must complete a minimum of five of the seven core DEI professional development trainings listed in the table below:
|Name of Training||Department that Sponsors Training|
|Diversity Statement OR Demonstrating Your Commitment to Diversity Workshop||U-M Rackham Graduate School and CRLT|
|Change It Up - Bystander Awareness Training||U-M Student Life|
|Communicating Across Identities||U-M IGR|
|Sexual Assault/Harassment Training - Haven Plus||U-M SAPAC|
|Cuts: Responding to Student’s Climate Concerns, Part 1||U-M CRLT Players|
|Cuts: Responding to Student’s Climate Concerns, Part 2||U-M CRLT Players|
|Informational Interview with a Professional Conducting DEI Work in Your Chosen Skill Track||A template for the informational interview will be provided|
Rackham’s DEI Professional Development Certificate has been designed so that participants can successfully complete it over the course of a year. However, students are not required to complete the program in one year and are encouraged to advance through the program at a pace that is comfortable for them.
How to Apply
- To participate in the program, students should complete the Rackham DEI Professional Development Program Application Form.
- The application Deadline is October 16, 2017.
- E-mail us if you have questions regarding the Rackham DEI Professional Development Program.