For Incoming Students
Welcome to the University of Michigan and the Rackham Graduate Student Community! We are delighted that you have decided to pursue your graduate studies at the University of Michigan. Ranked sixth nationally among all universities for international student representation, the University of Michigan values the amazing diversity and experience that international students contribute to the academic community. Today, you join over 3,000 international graduate students who have chosen to make Ann Arbor, Michigan and the University of Michigan their new home-away-from-home.
In the months to come, you will probably have many questions about the process of moving to the United States, settling in, and beginning your program. Luckily, there is a vast amount of information available online via the many units and organizations at the University that are here to help you. Below are just a few links to get you started:
- International Center
- Campus Information Centers
- U-M Maize Pages
- U-M Libraries
- Career Center
- University Health Service
- Sweetland Center for Writing
In addition, Rackham would like to offer you the opportunity to participate in the Rackham I-Connect Welcome Program. Through this program, incoming international graduate students can:
- Access an online resource-sharing site (a U-M “CTools” site) featuring Frequently Asked Questions, an online International Student Resource Guide, discussion forums, and event announcements of interest for international students.
- Contact the International Welcome Program coordinator – and fellow Rackham graduate student – over the spring and summer to ask questions not answered online or even just to make contact with a friendly “face” before arriving.
- Attend social events and cultural adjustment workshops hosted by Rackham and a dedicated group of I-Connect Ambassadors – advanced domestic and international graduate students interested in welcoming you to the U-M community.
The following events are planned for Fall 2012:
Tuesday, August 28
I-Connect Pre-Welcome Lunch
Meet up before the craziness of the semester begins for an informal lunch with other I-Connect Ambassadors and new international graduate students.
Thursday, September 13
I-Connect Welcome Social
The first official I-Connect event of the 2012-13 academic year – join your fellow I-Connectors for some food, drink, and fun activities.
Saturday, October 13
I-Connect Tailgate & Home Game Viewing Party (University of Michigan vs. Illinois)
Learn the basics of American college football and share some traditional game-day food and activities, while watching a televised broadcast of the game itself.
Tuesday, November 20
I-Connect Thanksgiving Celebration
Share in the American tradition of Thanksgiving by gathering with fellow I-Connectors to reflect on what you’re thankful for, and to share some traditional Thanksgiving dishes.
Apply to Participate in the I-Connect Welcome Program
To participate in the I-Connect Welcome Program, please complete the New International Student Registration. Registration closes August 24, 2012, but the sooner you apply, the sooner you can access the online resources!