The Rackham Graduate Student Emergency Fund is intended to help meet the financial needs of Rackham graduate students who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Situations eligible for funding include such events as:
- Medical, dental or mental health emergencies for the student or, in some circumstances, for immediate family members* who live with the student
- Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters
- Expenses related to the death of an immediate family member*
Normal living expenses such as rent, car repairs, child care, utilities, taxes, insurance, and pet-related expenses are generally not covered by this fund.
* The immediate family consists of an student's spouse or other qualified adult; the son, daughter, parent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister (or the spouse of any of them), of either the student, the student’s spouse, the other qualified adult or any other related person living in the student’s household. The definition of other qualified adult may be found at http://www.umich.edu/~benefits/eligibility/oqa.html
Students who are experiencing financial difficulties that exceed the scope of this fund may contact Darlene Ray-Johnson via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (734) 936-1647.
Ph.D. students on an approved leave of absence can apply for Rackham Graduate Student Emergency Fund awards as described above when an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expense is encountered during their period of leave that would interfere with their ability to return to active study as planned.
Students must be in good academic standing in a Rackham degree program. Rackham graduate students are limited to two (2) Emergency Fund awards. Ph.D. students on an approved leave of absence are eligible if they were in good academic standing at the beginning of the period of leave and have an approved plan for their return to active study at the conclusion of the leave.
Applications from students are reviewed on a rolling basis once the application is complete.
Awards may be up to $2500 each. For students who qualify for need-based financial aid, an Emergency Fund award may reduce original loan amounts. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for help in evaluating your individual circumstances.
Students should apply online at https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/Fellowships/apps/index.php?entry=8. A letter of support for the emergency fund request of no more than two pages (1,500 words) from either the graduate program chair or the department chair of the student's program is required. The letter should confirm that the student is in good academic standing.
The online application includes the following:
- Brief statement describing the emergency situation or one-time, unusual or unforeseen expense and the total dollar amount of emergency funds being requested. (1,500 words)
- Budget detailing the amount of emergency funding requested, a list of the specific expenses to be covered by the award, and your financial situation including sources of income and other available funding. (1,500 words)
- Letter of support for the emergency fund request of no more than two pages (1,500 words) from either the graduate chair or the department chair of the student's program.
Questions? Contact the Fellowships Office at 734-764-8119 or email@example.com
Office hours: 8 AM – 5 PM EDT, Monday through Friday