- United States citizens and those with permanent resident visa status, $75
- Non-U.S. citizens, $90
- Current Rackham students, regardless of citizenship, $10
The application fee is due when you submit your application. The fee is non-refundable and subject to change.
Application Fee Waivers
- Rackham is responsible only for application fee waivers for Rackham graduate programs. To verify that your program is a Rackham program, check the Programs of Study.
- One fee waiver is allowed per applicant. Additional applications submitted by the applicant will require payment of the application fee.
- If you pay the application fee and are approved to receive a fee waiver at a later date, the fee cannot be refunded.
There are 4 types of fee waivers:
1. Fee Waiver for Members of Specific Organizations
If you are a member of one of the following organizations, you must upload an official verification document from the organization before you submit the application. The verification document is uploaded on the Additional Information page of the application. Do not mail, fax, or e-mail the proof of eligibility to the Rackham Graduate School unless requested to do so.
These waivers are for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only.
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Post-Baccalaureate Research and Education Program (PREP)
- Public Policy and International Affairs Junior Institute (PPIA)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE)
- Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair)
2. Fee Waiver Provided by School or Organization
If you received an approved fee waiver code and instructions from one of the following schools or organizations listed below, you will be required to provide the fee waiver code in the Additional Information section of the application.
- Big Ten Academic Alliance – Summer Research Opportunity Programs (BTAA)
- This waiver is for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only
- To be considered by Rackham for this fee waiver you must apply to BTAA
- Participation in a Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) at a Big Ten Academic Alliance university with a 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPS
- Non-SROP participant with a 3.5 or higher undergraduate GPS
- College of Engineering – Ph.D. program waiver for COE-PHD codes (Waivers require pre-approval from the College of Engineering)
- College of Engineering Recruiting program waiver for COE-REC codes (Waivers require pre-approval from the College of Engineering)
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT) – (requires pre-approval from the IRT Organizations) - 978-749-4116 or email@example.com
- Latin American Scholarship Programs of American Universities
- Master’s Bridge Programs Waiver – (requires pre-approval from the program)
- Public Policy M.P.P. or M.P.A. - Teach for America and Former Volunteer (Vista/Peace Corps/AmeriCorps) active U.S. Miliatry and Veterans – U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only
- School of Information Ph.D. program application fee waiver: Former volunteer (PeaceCorps/AmeriCorps) – U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents only.
- U-M Exchange Program – University of Seville in Spain
3. Rackham Need Based Fee Waiver
To be eligible for a Rackham Need Based Fee Waiver you must be:
- A U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident of the United States (with a registration number).
- An undergraduate College Senior receiving financial aid at an institution in the United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. territory.
- Classified as a dependent with a parental contribution of not more than $900.00 and no personal contribution during the senior year or classified as self-supporting with a personal contribution of not more than $1,200 during the senior year and received no parental funds.
Applying for the Rackham Need Based Fee Waiver
- Apply at least 10 business days before you submit your application to avoid delays in receiving a response to your request.
- Complete the Rackham Need Based Fee Waiver Application.
- Provide a copy of your Student Aid Report. The Student Aid Report can be printed at www.fafsa.gov. Log in using your FSA ID number and choose Student Aid Report (SAR).
- Fax the completed form and a copy of your Undergraduate Student Aid Report to Rackham at 734-647-9378 for review.
- A Rackham Need Based Fee Waiver requires preapproval from Rackham. You will be required to provide a fee waiver code with the submission of the application if approved.
Instructions for Undocumented or DACAmented Immigrants
Fax a letter stating you are an undocumented or DACAmented student requesting a fee waiver to 734-647-9378. Allow 8 business days for Rackham to review and respond to the letter by e-mail.
4.Fee Waiver for Current Vista/Peace Corps or AmeriCorps Volunteer
A current long term (a year or more) volunteer in the Vista/Peace Corps or AmeriCorps is eligible for a fee waiver.
- Request a letter of verification at least 1 month before your program deadline or the date you plan to submit your application. The letter must include the following:
- your name, dates of service, e-mail, phone number
- your immediate supervisor’s signature to verify your status as a current Vista/Peace Corps or AmeriCorps volunteer.
- Fax your letter to 734-647-9378, Rackham Graduate School Admissions.
- Allow 10 business days for Rackham to review the official documents and respond by e-mail with the final decision.
- If approved, you will receive a code to enter into the online application. The code is required to submit the application. If denied, payment by credit card is required to submit the online application.
Questions about application fee waivers should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: December 6, 2017 - 1:51pm