Skip to:

Home » Admissions » Transcripts


Find out

  • Find out from the graduate program’s website if they have any specific transcript requirements.
  • Below are instructions for submitting transcripts to the Rackham Graduate School.


Order your official transcripts (or “academic records” as referred to by some international institutions) for the Rackham Graduate School process.

What types of education do I need to order official transcripts for?

  • Applicants that are attending or graduated from a U.S. Institution: Submit a transcript for each Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional, or Doctoral degree earned or in progress. Do not submit any transcripts from a community or junior college, non-degree, or study abroad coursework.
    • U-M Ann Arbor Applicants (Current or Previous): Do not submit your U-M Ann Arbor transcript. Rackham will access your U-M Ann Arbor transcript internally. Submit only degree transcripts from other institutions you attended including U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint.
  • Applicants that are attending or graduated from a Non-U.S. Institution: Submit required documents from each institution attended including non-degree and study abroad. Review the Required Academic Credentials from Non-U.S. Institutions for requirements by country.

How many sets of each official transcript do I need?

Two. One for you to upload and one submitted directly to Rackham no matter how many programs you apply to. See below for types and formats accepted by Rackham.

Do I need to submit an updated transcript to Rackham after I have my grades for a term in progress?

No. Do not submit an updated transcript to Rackham unless you are directed to do so.

I applied previously and submitted my official transcripts then. Do I need to submit them again?

Yes. Applicants need to submit a new set of official transcripts for each semester they apply.


Use the copy you received to upload your official transcripts to ApplyWeb.


Submit an official transcript for each institution from which you will obtain a degree directly to Rackham by the application deadline.

What type of transcript should I submit to Rackham?

Submit only official transcripts. These bear the issuing institution’s seal and the official signature of the Registrar (or Recorder of Records).

For those enrolled in degree study at the time of application, submit only the most recent in-progress transcript for that degree.

Which document formats are not accepted by Rackham?

The following formats are not accepted by Rackham:

  • A scanned copy of an official transcript (only allowed for the upload on ApplyWeb)
  • Academic records printed from your school’s website
  • A paper transcript that is not sealed in the institution’s envelope
  • An evaluation provided by a credential service, for example, Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). Exception, the Rackham Graduate School will accept electronic evaluations from Educational Perspectives (EP).
  • A “true” copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official, or notary public

Should I submit an e-transcript or paper transcript?

E-transcripts are the better option and strongly preferred when possible. Do not submit the same transcript both electronically and by paper.

E-transcript Instructions

Request that the Registrar (or Recorder of Records) send an electronic transcript to It cannot be an e-mail attachment or forwarded e-mail.

  • If your institution uses National Student Clearing House as their electronic transcript vendor, select ‘Electronic Transcript Exchange’ as the delivery method if that is an option.
  • If your institution uses Parchment as their electronic transcript vendor, select "An Academic Organization, Admissions Office, Business, or Other Organization" and search for “University of Michigan Rackham Graduate School.” Do not select "Yourself or Another individual."
  • If you attended a Non-U.S. Institution, you have the option (not mandatory) to use Certifile transcript submission through your ApplyWeb application account. ApplyWeb has partnered with CHESICC, Educational Perspectives (EP) and Digitary Inc. to verify, evaluate, and deliver your credentials electronically to our office. For more information, see the Education section of the application in your ApplyWeb account.

Fill out and include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each e-transcript submitted, if possible. We acknowledge that some e-transcript systems do not have an upload function. If it is not possible to include the form, do not mail or submit separately.

Paper Transcript Instructions

If an e-transcript option is not available, submit a paper transcript, in the envelope sealed by the institution, directly to:

Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/UMID# or Transcripts/Date of Birth
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070

Fill out and include a Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form for each transcript. If the institution issuing the transcript is not able to include forms, then write Attn: Transcripts/UMID# (if known) or Attn: Transcripts/Date of Birth (formatted as mm/dd/yyyy) as a line on the mailing address. Do not mail or submit separately.

Original educational documents will not be returned. All documentation received becomes the property of the Rackham Graduate School and will not be returned.

Last updated: November 6, 2017 - 1:22pm