The Rackham Graduate Student Emergency Fund is intended to help meet the financial needs of Rackham graduate students who encounter an emergency situation or one-time, unusual, or unforeseen expenses during their degree program. Situations eligible for funding include such events as:
- Medical, dental or mental health emergencies for the student or, in some circumstances, for immediate family members* who live with the student
- Major accidents and events such as fire and natural disasters
- Expenses related to the death of an immediate family member*
Normal living expenses such as rent, car repairs, child care, utilities, taxes, insurance, and pet-related expenses are generally not covered by this fund.
* The immediate family consists of an student's spouse or other qualified adult; the son, daughter, parent, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister (or the spouse of any of them), of either the student, the student’s spouse, the other qualified adult or any other related person living in the student’s household. The definition of other qualified adult may be found at http://www.umich.edu/~benefits/eligibility/oqa.html
Students who are experiencing financial difficulties that exceed the scope of this fund may contact Darlene Ray-Johnson by e-mail, or by phone, 734-764-4400.
Students must be enrolled in a Rackham degree program. Rackham doctoral students are limited to two (2) Emergency Fund awards and Master’s students are limited to one (1) Emergency Fund award during their graduate career. Ph.D. students on an approved leave of absence are eligible if they were in good academic standing at the beginning of the period of leave, have an approved plan for return to active study at the conclusion of the leave, and experience an emergency situation or unforeseen expense that would interfere with their ability to return to active study as planned.
Applications from students are reviewed on a rolling basis once the application is complete.
Awards may be up to $2,500 each. For students who qualify for need-based financial aid, an Emergency Fund award may reduce original loan amounts. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for help in evaluating your individual circumstances.
Student Application Procedure
Students should apply online at https://secure.rackham.umich.edu/Fellowships/apps/index.php?entry=8.
Before applying for emergency funds, students are encouraged to speak to their faculty advisors and the graduate chairs of their programs. These individuals may be able to help identify sources of financial assistance and/or provide useful advice.
The online application includes the following:
- Brief statement describing the emergency situation or one-time, unusual or unforeseen expense and the total dollar amount of emergency funds being requested. (1,500 words)
- Budget detailing the amount of emergency funding requested, a list of the specific expenses to be covered by the award, and your financial situation including sources of income and other available funding. (1,500 words)
Questions? Contact the Fellowships Office at 734-764-8119 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours: 8 AM – 5 PM EDT, Monday through Friday