Skip to:

Accommodations for Graduate Students with Disabilities

The University of Michigan is committed to ensuring that graduate students receive appropriate reasonable accommodations so that all students are supported in all aspects of their educational experience, including their employment related to their graduate education. There are a number of campus resources available to help graduate students with disabilities navigate the accommodation process. If you are a graduate student who has been diagnosed with a disability, or who believes that you may have a disability requiring accommodation, and would like to explore formal and informal options for obtaining academic or appointment-related employment, contact any of the resources listed below.

Academic Accommodations

All academic accommodations for students with disabilities are handled through the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD). It is important to make an appointment to speak with someone…

Requesting Employment or Appointment Accommodations

The University of Michigan does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its employment, programs, services or activities. Pursuant to applicable federal and state laws, it is the University’s…

Steps in the Formal Employment or Appointment Accommodation Process

Rackham Graduate School has an Accessibility Facilitator designated to assist graduate students with disabilities (including GSI, GSSA, GSRA or temporary hourly) seeking procedural assistance and information on matters pertaining to the employment or appointment accommodation process.

Funding Employment or Appointment Accommodations

The University maintains a central accommodation fund for implementing reasonable accommodations for graduate students with disabilities who hold a GSI, GSSA, GSRA or temporary hourly appointment in an academic unit..

Complaints or Disputes Related to Requests for Reasonable Accommodation

If you believe that you have been unlawfully discriminated against or treated unfairly because of a disability, talk to someone.

School or College Administrative Designees

You may contact the administrative designee for information about campus resources, to request an accommodation, or to seek assistance if you are having difficulty with the implementation of an accommodation..