Skip to:

Campus Resources

International Center

The U-M International Center is located on central campus in room 1500 of the Student Activities Building at 515 E. Jefferson Street. It is open Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The offices are closed during official U-M holidays and season days, and from 8:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. the first Tuesday of each month for staff meetings.

The International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at the University of Michigan, as well as U-M American students seeking opportunities to study, work, or travel abroad. The International Student and Scholar Services team serves as a key resource to the U-M community in the following ways:

  • Advises international students, scholars, their dependents, and University departments on compliance with U.S. immigration laws and regulations related to F and J visa categories
  • Recommends and approves immigration benefits
  • Verifies, tracks, and submits visa status notifications through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), as required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • Advises on adjustment to U.S. society and American culture, academic concerns and community resources
  • Processes DS-2019s, I-20s, travel signatures, and letters needed for travel, employment, maintaining status, social security numbers, and other immigration related matters
  • Conducts workshops and orientation sessions for international students, scholars, and U-M departments

The International Center’s 2015 Summer Orientation will be held from August 17th through September 4th. Students do not need to attend this entire period; rather, workshops repeat throughout this period to accommodate students arriving on different dates. Detailed program information will be posted on the International Center website as soon as it is available. If you would like to know what topics are generally covered during the Orientation, please review the orientation information and workshop descriptions at

Overall, it would be impossible to list all the extensive information and resources available on the International Center website, so make sure to explore it on your own at

Campus Information Centers (CIC)

There are two Campus Information Centers: one on Central Campus, located on the first floor of the Michigan Union, and on North Campus, located in the lobby of Pierpoint Commons. In addition to the International Center website, the CIC website is one of the most extensive and valuable online sources of information about U-M and Ann Arbor. Also, as their website puts it, "Sometimes it's nice to talk to a human being," so you can also call (734) 764-INFO (4636) with questions.

During the academic year, the hours of operation are Monday – Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. ; Sunday, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. During the Spring/Summer, the hours of operation are Monday – Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m. ; Friday – Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m. , and Sunday 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 a.m.

Campus Safety

The Career Center

The Career Center is committed to preparing U-M students to be active, life-long learners in developing and implementing their career decisions. The Career Center facilitates clients' overall development and provides resources to help them explore and pursue their career and educational goals.

3200 Student Activities Building
515 E. Jefferson
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 764-7460

Center for the Education of Women (CEW)

The Center for the Education of Women provides counseling and educational programs to women and men regarding academic, career and life issues; conducts social research on policy and gender issues; and advocates for improved policy and practice.

330 E. Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: (734) 764-6005

Center for Research on Learning & Teaching (CRLT)

CRLT partners with U-M faculty, graduate students, and administrators to promote a university culture that values and rewards teaching, respects and supports individual differences among learners, and encourages the creation of learning environments in which diverse students can learn and excel.

If an appointment as a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) will be part of your graduate program, or if you are just interested in learning more about the process of pedagogy, the CRLT is a valuable resource, offering various courses and workshops, and maintaining a library of materials available to the public.

Class Registration and Academic Advising

The University of Michigan's web-based class registration process in Wolverine Access gives you the ability to search for the classes you want. For specific information on class registration procedures, check the Registrar's Office website. To register for classes, you need a University uniqname and password. You will also need an appointment. You will receive an e-mail notification for your appointment time on Wolverine Access.

Academic advising for graduate students varies widely from school to school and from program to program. You usually see an advisor in your program or department to discuss course elections and progress towards a degree, and are usually expected to consult with your advisor before each term's registration. Make certain you find out what kind of academic advising is available to you.

For more information on class registration and academic advising please see the Information on Registering for Classes section of the Rackham website.

English Language Institute (ELI)

The English Language Institute (ELI) is an independent unit offering credit-bearing courses within the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. The ELI offers a variety of courses in English for Academic Purposes (EAP) for nonnative speakers of English enrolled at and visiting the University of Michigan. The courses are designed to enable students to enhance their linguistic and communicative skills in order to become effective, fully participating members of the academic community both during their time on campus and beyond. Approximately 80% of ELI's students are graduate students, with the remainder comprised of undergraduates and visiting scholars. ELI courses are taken concurrently with other courses.

In addition to the EAP courses during the Fall and Winter semesters, the ELI features a number of special instructional programs. These include courses and workshops for graduate student instructors (GSIs) and three full-time summer intensive programs: English for Academic Purposes, English for Business Studies, and English for Legal Studies. Other special services include Speaking Clinics, Graduate Writing Clinics for International Students, and the Conversation Circles Program.

Gayle Morris Sweetland Writing Center

The Sweetland Writing Center offers a variety of writing courses and support for graduate students. Among their services and courses, Sweetland faculty offer skillful, supportive advice to graduate students as they draft their course papers, projects, and theses. They act as an interested outside audience, direct students to resources, and give specific suggestions about organization, disciplinary modes, evidence, clarity, grammar, and style.

Sweetland Center for Writing
1310 North Quad
105 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: (734) 764-0429

Health and Wellness

Staying healthy is an important part of life. Ann Arbor has many resources and services to keep you going strong. Rackham maintains a website on health and wellness, which links to many organizations and resources on campus. Further information on health, wellness and fitness resources can be found at the links below.

Physical Health

University Health Service (UHS)

The University Health Service is committed to promoting and protecting the health of students and other members of the University community so that they may achieve their educational and personal goals. Students pay a health service fee as part of tuition, and this fee covers most services at UHS. Students pay no additional fees for:

  • Clinic visits (e.g. medical clinics, gynecology, specialty clinics, nurse visits, etc.)
  • Eye care for medical problems (does not include routine eye exams, glasses, contact lenses)
  • Health education
  • Nutrition counseling
  • Physical therapy
  • Radiology
  • Most laboratory tests
  • Advice by telephone

Please note: only currently enrolled U-M students can use UHS.

Dental Services at the U-M School of Dentistry

The School of Dentistry (located at 1011 N. University) offers a wide variety of dental services to the public and University community. Service is provided by supervised student providers or specialty residents. The Dental Faculty Associates is a private practice setting within the School of Dentistry where patients are treated exclusively by faculty dentists. The Dental Faculty Associates offer a full range of dental services.

To schedule an appointment with the Dental Faculty Associates: (734) 764-3155
To schedule an appointment with student clinicians: (734) 763-6933 or (888) 707-2500
In case of a dental emergency: (734) 763-6933, select option #1 or (888) 707-2500, select option #1

University of Michigan Health System (UMHS)

The University of Michigan Health System offers inpatient and outpatient care, in addition to vast research and teaching facilities. The eight-unit complex includes University Hospital, Women’s Hospital, and C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital. More than 110 specialty services, ranging from Emergency Services and Obstetrics-Gynecology to Pediatrics and Psychiatry, are available. The costs of care at the University of Michigan Health System, however, are not covered by student fees.

1500 E. Medical Center Dr.
Hospital Operator: (734) 936-4000
Information Desk: (734) 936-6641

Psychological Well Being

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) offers a variety of services aimed at helping students resolve personal difficulties and acquire the skills, attitudes, and knowledge that will enable them to take full advantage of their experiences at the University of Michigan. CAPS services are free, confidential, and available to currently enrolled students. Services include: brief counseling for individuals, couples and groups; consultation to students, faculty, staff, and parents; assistance with referrals to community resources; and crisis interventions.

Michigan Union, Room 3100
530 S. State Street
Phone: (734) 764-8312

University of Michigan Psychological Clinic

Offers therapy for adults 18 and over for a variety of difficulties and concerns, including depression and anxiety, problems with procrastination, and problems with personal relationships.

500 E. Washington St., Suite 100 (located near the corner of State St. and Washington)
Phone: (734) 764-3471

Mental Health Resources

This website organizes the many resources available at U-M for student mental health and is intended for a variety of constituents – students, faculty, staff and parents, family members, and loved ones.

MiTalk Website for U-M Students

An interactive website for U-M students, which includes online screening for depression and anxiety, skill-building tools to help manage stress and academic life, and digitally recorded workshops, lectures and relaxation exercises.

Fitness & Recreation

University of Michigan Department of Recreational Sports

Currently enrolled U-M students have access to all of Recreational Sports facilities, including the Central Campus Recreational Building (CCRB), North Campus Recreational Building (NCRB), and the Intramural Sports Building (IMSB), when they pay their student activity fee each semester. A U-M student not enrolled for the current semester, but enrolled in the previous term or upcoming semester or who has a letter of acceptance for the upcoming semester, is eligible to purchase a Continuing Student membership.

Department Hotline: (734) 763-0050

U-Move Fitness

U-Move Fitness offers a wide variety of group exercise and wellness classes on campus. Most are held at the Central Campus Recreation Building.

Phone: (734) 764-1342

Intramural Sports

The Intramural Sports Program provides a broad spectrum of activity for personal enjoyment, fitness, and competition. Through various team, individual, and dual activities, the program offers every individual and/or group in the campus community an opportunity to participate.

Phone: (734) 763-3562

MESA/Trotter House

The Office of Multi-Ethnic Student Affairs (MESA) and the William Monroe Trotter Multicultural Center (TMC) comprise a Division of Student Affairs (DSA) unit with two locations and a multiplicity of offerings. With the mission ‘To promote student development and emppower the campus community around issues of diversity and social justice through the lens of race and ethnicity,’ MESA provides support to all students through programming and strives to meet the facility/multicultural center needs of students.

2202 Michigan Union
530 S State Street
Phone: (734) 763-9044
Trotter Multicultural Center
1443 Washtenaw Avenue
Phone: (734) 763-3670

Rackham Graduate School

Rackham Graduate School is the most important resource on campus for graduate students. Rackham works with faculty, students and staff across the University of Michigan to promote excellence in graduate education for over 8,000 students in 108 Ph.D. and 83 master's programs. The office of Graduate Student Success coordinates numerous programs, events and workshops designed specifically for graduate students. The Graduate Fellowships Office provides prospective and current graduate students and programs with information about fellowship opportunities and other available funding. Also, Rackham provides a welcome orientation and resource fair for new graduate students at the beginning of each Fall and Winter semester.

Specifically for international graduate students, Graduate Student Success coordinates a variety of internationally-themed workshops and social events throughout the year, which are open to international graduate students and their family members.

Make sure to explore all the information available through the Rackham website, particularly the student to student videos covering such as topics as "Getting Ready for Graduate School," "Getting to Know Ann Arbor," "Advice for International Students" and "Balancing Work and Life in Graduate School."

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD)

The University of Michigan takes great pride in the academic and personal achievements of its many students with disabilities. The University is committed to providing equal and integrated access for students with disabilities. The SSD office assists students with both mental and physical health conditions. On the SSD website, you can:

  • Look up helpful resources on disability concerns
  • See what accommodations are available for registered students
  • Locate and print necessary disability forms

G-664 Haven Hall
505 South State St.
Phone: (734) 763-3000
TDD: (734) 615-4461
VP: (734) 619-6661

Spectrum Center

The University of Michigan Spectrum Center provides a comprehensive range of education, information and advocacy services working to create and maintain an open, safe and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and similarly-identified students, faculty, and staff, their families and friends, and the campus community at large.

3200 Michigan Union
530 South State Street
Phone: (734) 763-4186

Students of Color of Rackham (SCOR)

SCOR is a network for Rackham graduate and professional students at the University of Michigan. SCOR is dedicated to the social, cultural, and academic well-being of students of color of African, Asian, Latino, and Native American descent. SCOR welcomes students of other cultures, ethnicities and international origins to become a part of the SCOR community. SCOR promotes, supports, and sponsors efforts to enhance and improve the quality of our students' academic, professional and social lives, respectful of cultural, disability, gender and sexual orientation.

Student Organizations and Associations

The over 1000 student organizations at the University Michigan provide an excellent way to meet people, find others with common interests, backgrounds and/or goals, and get involved in the U-M community.

Maize Pages is the University of Michigan’s online directory of student organizations. You can use Maize Pages to find a complete list of student organizations and their contact information.

For a listing of organizations and associations specifically for international students, see the International Center's website.

Many international student organizations assist new international students with airport transportation, housing arrangements, regional food and grocery shopping tips, and other areas of specific cultural adjustment.

U-M Office of Financial Aid

Financial assistance for graduate students is somewhat limited – and assistance for international graduate students even more so – compared to assistance available to undergraduate students. Private or alternative loan sources are available, but students must apply for these programs separately. For scholarship, grant, and fellowship programs, please contact the academic department or professional school in which you are enrolled or plan to enroll.

The Graduate Student Financial Aid Information page explains how to apply for aid, what aid programs are available to graduate students, etc.

Office of the Registrar

Located in the LS&A Building on Central Campus, the Registrar's Office is a key administrative hub and the first place to go for information about the academic calendar, registration and enrollment, exam schedules, transcripts, residency requirements, student rights and records, tuition fees, etc.

U-M Libraries

The University of Michigan Library is actually comprised of 20 libraries, each with unique collections and materials. For example, the Hatcher Graduate Library contains humanities and social sciences collections, as well as government documents and maps collections. Other important libraries to graduate students include the Art, Architecture & Engineering Library, the Taubman Health Sciences Library, the Fine Arts Library, the Shapiro Science Library, the Shapiro Undergraduate Library, and the administratively separate Law Library and Kresge Business Administration Library.

The University Library collections are represented in the library catalog, Mirlyn. Graduate students are eligible to borrow materials from all U-M libraries; they can also utilize the Inter-Library Loan (ILL) service to obtain materials held by other lending institutions, and the 7-Fast document delivery service to have materials delivered (for free!) to their department mailbox or electronically as PDF files.

For more information about Library services available for graduate students, visit the library website.

U-M Parking & Transportation Services

Whether your interest lies in bus options, bicycling, vanpooling, parking permits, visitor parking, patient parking, late-night and other special transit services, or University vehicle leasing, the U-M Parking & Transportation Service web page is full of useful information. You'll find maps, bus routes, schedules, parking permit and vehicle lease options; as well as brief construction updates that may affect your commute to the U-M.