The Sweetland Center for Writing Fellows Seminar offered in the winter term is designed to bring together faculty (Senior Fellows) and graduate student instructors (Junior Fellows), from multiple disciplines, who share a commitment to integrating writing in their courses.
Junior Fellows develop and share course syllabi, confer with visiting speakers, and discuss approaches to incorporating writing across the disciplines in order to prepare a First-Year Seminar that meets the First-Year Writing Requirement.
Junior Fellows receive a stipend of $1000 during Winter Term 2013 for participating in the Seminar. Seminar participants will meet from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. on Fridays.
In Spring/Summer Term 2013, Junior Fellows meet with me to develop their syllabi , and they participate in the English Department Writing Program orientation in August. For this work they receive a summer stipend of $4000.
In Fall Term 2013, Junior Fellows teach one section of English 125 (a four-credit writing course on a topic related to their discipline and a teaching circle) and are supported by a .50 GSI fraction. During this term they enroll in English 993, a series of meetings in which they discuss their teaching with other instructors.
To apply for a Junior Fellowship for the 2013 Seminar, please submit application materials electronically to email@example.com by Wednesday, March 7, 2012.
Application materials include:
- A letter (maximum two pages) describing your previous teaching experience and interest in teaching
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of candidacy status, number of years in program, and expected date of degree completion
- One teaching recommendation letter from a faculty member
- Teaching evaluation summaries (where available)
Criteria for selection:
- Within ten-term rule for Fall 2013
- Interest in and commitment to integrating writing into courses
- Achievement of candidacy (preferred)
- GSI experience (teaching in a course meeting the Upper Level Writing Requirement is highly desired)
Selections will be announced via e-mail in early April.
Contact Laura Schuyler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-3144 with questions.
About the Author
Anne Ruggles Gere, Director, Sweetland Writing Center
Published in: Professional Development